- In the Spring and Fall, The City of Russellville conducts a system-wide Water Main Flushing Program to improve drinking water quality and service. Water mains are flushed by from selected hydrants to allow water to flow at a high velocity. The fast moving water scours the inside of the pipes and removes sediment that slowly accumulates at the bottom of water pipes due to internal corrosion over time.
WHY IS FLUSHING IMPORTANT?
- Water main flushing is important for several reasons:
- Enhances long-term water quality by removing sediment and other buildup from the water system
- Helps determine adequate fire flows
- Identifies potential malfunctions in hydrants and valves
- Isolates weaknesses in the water distribution system that require further attention
WILL FLUSHING AFFECT MY PROPERTY?
- There should be no long-term adverse impacts from the flushing program. While The City of Russellville Water Department will make every effort to minimize disturbance, water main flushing can cause the following short-term impacts:
- Temporary reductions in water pressure
- Discolored water from flow changes and sediment particles
- Cloudy water from tiny air bubbles trapped in the pipe
- These conditions are not a public health threat and will subside after flushing is complete
WHAT TO DO IF MY WATER IS DISCOLORED?
- The City of Russellville Water Department advises customers to flush a cold water tap for a few minutes, up to 15 minutes maximum. Do not use a cold water tap that has a water filter connected to it, or the sediment may clog your filter. Do not use a hot water tap because it could draw sediment into your hot water tank.